Lauren Fox concentrates her practice on commercial and securities litigation, representing corporations and financial institutions in a broad array of disputes, with an emphasis on securities, breaches of contract and business torts. Lauren also has significant arbitration experience and has represented major broker-dealers, investment advisory firms and asset managers before private and industry arbitral forums such as JAMS, AAA and NASD/FINRA.
The arbitration cases that Lauren has successfully handled from inception through to award include claims relating to financial transactions, retail brokerage disputes, regulatory matters, clearing disputes and employment-related issues. In this role, Lauren has first and second chaired dozens of arbitrations in cities across the U.S.
Lauren has counseled clients on the preparation of arbitration agreements and is experienced with confirming and defending arbitration awards in both state and federal courts. She assisted with the successful defense of a multi-million-dollar arbitration award, before the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, against claims of arbitrator bias and misbehavior.Current and recent matters include:
- Defense of an equipment manufacturer in an employment-related dispute alleging violations of Title VII and the Fair Labor Standards Act;
- Defense of a telecommunications company in a federal breach of contract action;
- Defense of a broker-dealer in litigation arising from a regulatory investigation into the sale of real estate investment trusts;
- Defense of a corporate officer against claims by an LLC for recoupment of distributions;
- Defense of a financial institution against multi-million-dollar claims of fraud and suitability arising from the offering and sale of securities;
- Defense of a manufacturer in breach of warranty litigation, involving multiple choice of law issues;
- Representation of financial institutions in multiple actions relating to expungement, margin disputes, promissory note proceedings and violations of the Protocol for Broker Recruiting;
- Procurement of pre-suit dismissal in a FINRA arbitration in a claim alleging breach of fiduciary duty.
Lauren currently serves on the Advisory Council of Bottom Line NYC, an organization aimed at assisting disadvantaged students gain access to and graduate from college. Between 2006 and 2008, Lauren designed and taught a law module as part of Trinity College Dublin’s Access Program. Lauren is an active member of the New York Inn of Court and the New York City Bar and serves on the NYC Bar's International Law Committee, where she is on the organizing committee for the annual "Women in International Law" event. Lauren is fluent in French and Irish (Gaeilge).
- Fordham University School of Law, L.L.M. (2009)
- Trinity College Dublin, Ireland, L.L.M. (2006)
- University College Cork, Ireland, B.C.L. (Irish J.D. Equivalent) (2005)
- New York
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court Western District of New York
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York
- New York Inn of Court
- New York City Bar Association, Member, International Law Committee (2012 – Present)
- New York Super Lawyers, Rising Stars (2013-2017)
- Young Leader, American Ireland Fund
- Bottom Line NYC, Advisory Council
- Taking a Bite Out of Bitcoin, New York American Inn of Court, CLE Presentation (October 2014)
- Does Deleted ESI Warrant An Adverse Inference? Sekisui Am. Corp. And Proposed Rule 37(e) Differ, The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel (March 2014)
- "You Do the Crime, You Do the Time (or Not)", The Criminal Process for White-Collar Defendants, CLE Presentation, New York Inn of Court (October 2013)
- An Appeal to Sentiment: The Fading Claim of the Irish Civil Jury, Lauren Fox, Trinity College Library, Ireland (2006)
Lectures & Speaking Engagements
- The Impact of the Yates Memo in White Collar Prosecutions, New York American Inn of Court, CLE Presentation (October 2015)