Brian K. Cifuentes - AssociateNew York
Brian Cifuentes is a commercial litigator with more than ten years of experience concentrating his practice on complex commercial disputes, including representing clients in the financial services, insurance and chemical manufacturing industries in state and federal courts. Brian is also involved in the firm's product liability and toxic tort practice, aiding in the defense of clients in national asbestos litigation. Current and past matters include:
- Defense of an international chemical manufacturing company in a federal breach of contract and fraud action based on negotiations for the purchase of a mining and chemical processing facility;
- Representation of a financial institution in a FINRA arbitration brought by a broker-dealer in connection with a series of multimillion-dollar mortgage-backed securities trades and successfully obtaining an arbitration award;
- Defense of a major insurance company against antitrust claims brought in federal and state courts by commercial insureds alleging bid-rigging, market allocation, and the improper use of broker commissions;
- Defense of a major insurance company in a federal securities class action lawsuit concerning allegations of accounting fraud and bid-rigging;
- Defense of a payment card network against antitrust claims brought by a putative class of merchants in the United States, challenging the credit card interchange system as a form of price fixing in violation of the Sherman Act;
- Representation of a corporation in a multi-week arbitration of a commodities index market manipulation case before the Intercontinental Exchange;
- Representation of a corporation in federal court in connection with the confirmation of a foreign arbitration award;
- Representation of an international chemical manufacturing company in federal court in the successful prevention of attachment of certain licensing and royalty fees in connection with the Argentine bond default matters;
- Defense of manufacturers of products and equipment in products liability and toxic tort suits alleging wrongful death and serious bodily injury.
Brian served as an articles editor of the New York City Law Review. After his first year of law school, Brian was selected as a summer fellow by the Association of the Bar of the City of New York and spent his 2004 summer as an honors intern working in the Family Court Division of the New York City Law Department. Brian is fluent in Spanish.
Brian joined Leader & Berkon in 2011. Prior to joining the firm, he was a litigation associate at Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP.
- City University of New York, School of Law, J.D. (2005)
- John Jay College of Criminal Justice, M.A. (2003)
- St. Lawrence University, B.S. (2000)
- New York
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York
- New York City Bar Association
- New York Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2016-2017
- The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel - Proportionality: The Continuing Effort to Limit the Scope of Discovery (April 2015)
- The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel Nonparty Subpoenas: Why the Requestor Should Pay (June 2014)