Daniel A. Johnson - AssociateNew York
Daniel Johnson is a litigator with broad experience in a variety of areas, including complex commercial litigation, products liability, insurance and trade secrets. His past matters include the following:
- Assisting in prosecuting a trade secrets lawsuit leading to a $130 million settlement on the eve of trial. Among other things, he drafted a successful opposition to summary judgment that allowed the client to proceed to trial on an $803 million unjust enrichment claim. He also was extensively involved in preparing for trial.
- Working on internal investigations in response to government and shareholder inquiries. Investigations he worked on included matters relating to False Claims Act allegations, fiduciary duties, corporate governance, accounting controls and product defects. He interviewed dozens of witnesses, managed document review and drafted several fact-finding reports.
- Serving as the lead associate in a variety of insurance cases involving many different types of policies. Among other things, he drafted briefs leading to a $25 million recovery under a directors and officers liability policy for alleged securities liability, and he successfully prosecuted claims for reformation and estoppel under a mortgage-lending practices policy to cover significant losses arising from the subprime mortgage crisis.
- Completing a secondment at a Fortune 300 industrial supply company. In this role, he managed outside counsel in cases relating to products liability, mass torts, premises liability and auto liability. He also handled issues relating to recalls, compliance and supplier contracting.
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D., 2009
- Kenyon College, B.A., summa cum laude, highest honors (2003)
- Not admitted in New York. Practicing under the supervision of Leader & Berkon LLP